Monday, April 1, 2013

Dressed from toe to head

Hello my dears,

I hope you had some nice Easter-holidays.

Last time I mentioned at the end of the post that I was working on a new hat to go with the grey-black dress. Last Wednesday night I got done with it.

While the general shape was quickly decided on (I took a medium high crown based on the TV550 pattern) I had a hard time deciding on the trimming. Especially as my first idea didn't work out. I had planned to use the same pleated trim as I did on the dress, but it turned out too wide for the hat. Maybe if I had used a taller shape it'd have worked.

So I had to rethink my decoration, but still wanted to use a pleated trim to match the dress. I then used a 4cm wide satin ribbon I had in my stock (from my last hatmaking) and worked it in the same manor as the dress trim: Small boxpleats with a velvet ribbon on top.

Although the dress is rather plain in style, you will remember that we're still talking victorian, so there had to be more than a pleated ribbon to go round the crown. Some flowery stuff and some ostrich plumes were in order. The latter I had to order first and after they arrived early last week, I started to really decorate the hat. I googled on flowers mad of satin ribbon and other fabric, but in the end I just made the simple gathered version. Two big and three small flowers, sewn on with a grey pearl in the middle.
I didn't want to go overboard this time, so I hope you agree with me that the hat is matching the dress.




A close up of the trimming with and without flash


Tell me how you like it :)

Next time I'll show you my new chemises. Stay tuned.




P.S. Has anyone else problems updating their sidebar lists? Everytime I want to change something, it tells me to correct the error. I can only delete it and create a new list. Really annoying...

No comments:

Post a Comment