Monday, April 4, 2011

Never leave the house without a hat...

...this has been an advice to all proper women for centuries.
So I should go along, right? At least when wearing an 1880s outfit ;)

My dears,

I'm so very sorry I haven't posted here for such a long time, but I haven't done much in the last weeks. While finishing up the trousers for my Mom's uncle I fell ill for a good two weeks. After that I had to catch up on a few things, but now I'm hopefully back with some new projects.

Last weekend I (more or less out of the blue) decided to get started on my 1880s wool flannel hat. I need it for the Wave Gotik Treffen at Whitsun. (Well depending on what I will wear in the end which is depending on the weather.)
However I need this hat, sooner or later, it was planned anyways.
Some time ago I had already ordered some buckram and millinery wire, so I could get started quite fast.
I had a pattern here already, but I altered it a bit. I made it a bit larger, so it would come lower on my head, but now I'm afraid I largened it too much. I've got so see when all layers are joined. I have bought some felt already to put inside if it should be too wide (I'm prepared for all situations *lol*)
But back to where I started:
I cut the pattern pieces (top, crown and brim) from buckram first and marked all lines where wire would be attachted.
Then I cut the fashion fabric and lining pieces. The brim lining is the same black polyester I used for the underskirt of the faintailskirt (so it would match) and the inner lining will be the same as I used for my tailor's exam (again to match there, as I plan on wearing the jacket with the fantailskirt).

Also I decided to make this hat entirely by hand, so no sewing machine and (if possible) no glue.
So I sewed on the millinery wire by hand, it took some time, but went smooth otherwise.
After that I started covering the pieces. Starting with the top.
As you can see, I have run a basting thread/draw string around the edge of the fashion fabric. This really helps when you want to get fabric around a round edge no matter what garment or accessoiry you're making. It even helps with hemming round skirts. The surplus width will be distributed evenly around the whole edge.

By now I have also the crown covered and pinned to the top to be sewn together. I need to take a picture of it...
Yesterday I went to the city and got some decoration for the hat... grossgrain ribbon, satin ribbon (the same colour I used for the corset, only wider) and some flowers. Can you imagine how hard it is to find not too big or too small sized flowers that look at least a little bit like the ones in my embroidery? I went through all craft stores and home decor departments... in the end I found them in one of the "1-Euro-Stores"... didn't surprise me though ^^.

Okay, that's it for today. More will come soon, I promise ;)
See ya

No comments:

Post a Comment