another weekend has passed and another garment is finished:
An 1880's chemise.
I took the pattern from "Fashions of the Gilded Age Vol.1" and surprise, surprise I didn't make any alterations in the measurements this time. I only shortened the body and sleeves afterwards by sewing in tucks as trimming.
I struggled in finding a fabric in my statsh that was big enough... unbelievable how much fabric a chemise swallows. But in the end the 2m of white cotton bunting did it, although I had to add a seam down the central back.
Also I had some difficulties in sewing in the sleeves, as they are shaped differently from modern ones... I had done all seams so far only using the overlock machine, so I had to open the side seams a bit again to make the sleeves fit and set them in using the normal sewing machine. And I had to do it in two steps: a) sew the straight part under the arm and then b) cut the seamallowance of the armhole to sew the rest of the sleeve. But it worked... still I will do a chemise with a simpler (or no) sleeve next time ;)
For trimming I used (next to four tucks at the bottom and the sleeves) the same lace as I had used für the petticoat. I decorated the cleavage, hem and sleeve hem. Also through the lace at the cleavage and the bottom I threaded a dark red satin ribbon.
Okay enough words... here's the pic:
I hope you like it (feel free to click one of those little boxes below ;) )
Thanks for watching, see you soon.